For many years we have instructed and trained guides for excellence outdoors and in nature. We exhausted many years of research in instructor and guide training to best meet needs of hopeful outdoor educators and the broader industry for coming decades. As the twenty first century unfolds, we help people better understand and engage with their world through excellence in outdoor leadership.
By blending ideas, practical experiences and modern issues; we train instructors and guides for the forefront in making a difference. Using integrated instructing and guiding approaches addressing change, our approaches increase a sense of connection to where we live and who we live with.
Promoting the highest instructor and guide training standards, we have supported outdoor education as a profession by using formal peer reviews thus improved our way of working collaboratively.
About instructor and guide training
Our instructor and guide training is taught by qualified and experienced educators. We give you the skills, knowledge and experiences to go on your own adventures and lead others. You will engage with natural landscapes to develop detailed understandings of instructing and guiding in the outdoor and tourism industry and what it means to our society now and for the future.
Develop your instructing and guiding then share your passion using unique combinations of theory and practice through proven talents in outdoor education.
You will learn effective instructor and guide training methods for teaching and helping others to engage with and respect our spectacular outdoor settings and instruct activities within it.
What your instructor and guide training might cover
- Clothing and equipment,
- Local conditions and weather
- Logistics and safety management,
- Cultural and environmental sustainability
- Professional foundations and applications
- Advanced Pursuits (Rock Climbing, Tramping, Kayaking, Caving etc.)
- Philosophy and ethics
- Modern issues
- The art and science of teaching and learning
- Policy and planning
- Resource management
Our Ethical Practices for instructor and guide training
Promoting standards of professional behaviour and portrayals for practicing as outdoor professionals
- Industry Standards
- Rapport with Clients and Public
- Interpretation and Enforcement
- Commitment to Positive Values in Environmental Issues
Instructor and guide training content
- Work independently without direct supervision,
- Learn how to guide others confidently in outdoor pursuits,
- Gain national awards as part of your engagement.
- Work within an activity and site specific risk management plan,
- Work nationally without a need for site induction,
- Instruct advanced skills,
- Develop and supervise programmes,
- Prove knowledge and understanding of safety management plans and processes.
Who needs instructor and guide training?
Our instructor and guide training is designed for people who have already developed their personal skills in a particular activity, have begun instructing and guiding others and who wish to become legitimate.
Our instructor and guide training will go through the major elements required for industry standards.
We help you identify any gaps before you take responsibility for others and attend assessments.
Personal attributes for instructor and guide training
- Mature, responsible and composed in emergencies,
- Good decision-makers under pressure,
- Patient, sympathetic and enthusiastic,
- Confident, competent and able to inspire that in others,
- Excellent instructors with good communication skills,
- Good at planning, organizing and have problem-solving skills,
- Able to work in a team,
- Alert and observant.
What your instructor and guide training covers
- Plan outdoor recreation activities and instruction programmes,
- Assess risks involved in an activity, considering weather and different clients' abilities,
- Lead, guide and instruct people taking part in activities,
- Organise safety procedures including checking equipment, running rescue practices, and providing first aid if necessary,
- Prepare recreation areas by doing things such as signposting or fencing off paths and hazards,
- Organise bookings, transport, food and accommodation, and drive clients to activities,
People are drawn to education outdoors and adventure recreation. We are all happier in the outdoors; feeling better, sleeping better, time slows and the air feels good to breathe. That is why our instructor and guide training is not all about nature and pursuits. There are cultural activities and exchanges; sightseeing and touring; personal development; community and social events; free time and plenty of opportunity for exploration into one seamless program.
Your instructor and guide training will be split between intensive practical and theoretical training; gaining world-recognised guiding qualifications, plus industry experience in the adventure tourism industry. All this will give you the best entry into the instructing and guiding adventure industry with skill-sets for becoming a confident outdoor adventurer and global citizen. You will experience places most only dream of seeing.
We focus on meaningful experiential travel, immersing people in unique cultural environments, educating and inspiring them to reach goals, and encouraging personal development. Through adventure and exploration, we want to help your instructor and guide training through mental fortitude, internal confidence and external wellbeing.
Our approach to instructor and guide training
We offer instructor and guide training designed for locals and travelers seeking a positive developmental stepping-stone into independent travel, working the adventure tourism industry or your next life chapter.
Our instructor and guide training philosophy threads through all our action-packed itineraries, encompassing developmental and educational ideas. We provide vast skills, great knowledge and huge experiences within an adventure travel context. We create cultures and ever-expanding levels of independence for you and others.
Each place and practice for instructor and guide training is chosen for your perfect 'classroom' toward personal development, immersive learning and managed challenges.