For many years we have trained people for excellence in outdoor instruction and guiding.
Our public training portfolio is rare in most outdoor and nature companies but unique to us. We exhausted many years of research to best meet needs of hopeful outdoor educators and the broader industry for coming decades.
by blending ideas, practical experiences and modern issues; we equip instructors and guides for the forefront in making a difference.
As the twenty first century unfolds, we help people better understand and engage with their world through excellence in outdoor leadership.
Using integrated teaching and learning approaches addressing change, our approaches increase a sense of connection to where we live and who we live with.
Promoting the highest standards, we have supported outdoor education as a profession, using formal peer reviews thus improved our way of working collaboratively.
About this programme
Taught by qualified and experienced educators and instructors, we give you the skills, knowledge and experiences to go on your own adventures and lead others.
Develop and share your passion using unique combinations of theory and practice through proven talents in outdoor education.
You will engage with natural landscapes to develop detailed understandings of the outdoor and tourism industry and what it means to our society now and for the future.
You will learn effective methods for teaching, guiding and helping other people to engage with and respect our spectacular outdoor settings and instruct activities within it.
Specialist equipment is provided, however personal clothing and equipment are necessary - a list will be provided for you on request.
What you might cover
- Clothing and equipment,
- Local conditions and weather
- Logistics and safety management,
- Cultural and environmental sustainability
- Professional foundations and applications
- Advanced Pursuits (Rock Climbing, Tramping, Kayaking, Caving etc.)
- Philosophy and ethics
- Modern issues
- The art and science of teaching and learning
- Policy and planning
- Resource management
Our Ethical Practices
Promoting standards of professional behaviour and portrayals for practicing as outdoor professionals.
- Industry Standards
- Rapport with Clients and Public
- Commitment to Positive Values in Environmental Issues
- Interpretation and Enforcement
- Work independently without direct supervision,
- Learn how to lead others confidently in outdoor pursuits,
- Gain national awards as part of your engagement.
- Work within an activity and site specific risk management plan,
- Work nationally without a need for site induction,
- Teach advanced skills,
- Develop and supervise programmes,
- Prove knowledge and understanding of safety management plans and processes,
- Not site specific.
Who are the courses for?
Training courses are designed for people who have already developed their personal skills in a particular activity, have begun leading and instructing others and who wish to become legitimate.
The training course will go through the major elements required for industry standards.
We help you identify any gaps before you take responsibility for others and attend assessments.
- Mature, responsible and composed in emergencies,
- Good decision-makers under pressure,
- Patient, sympathetic and enthusiastic,
- Confident, competent and able to inspire that in others,
- Excellent leaders with good communication skills,
- Good at planning, organizing and have problem-solving skills,
- Able to work in a team,
- Alert and observant.
What you will do
- Plan outdoor recreation activities and instruction programmes,
- Assess risks involved in an activity, considering weather and different clients' abilities,
- Lead, guide and teach people taking part in activities,
- Organise safety procedures including checking equipment, running rescue practices, and providing first aid if necessary,
- Prepare recreation areas by doing things such as signposting or fencing off paths and hazards,
- Organise bookings, transport, food and accommodation, and drive clients to activities,
- May work long and irregular hours, including weekends and nights,
- Work at remote locations such as national parks, mountains, forests, caves, rivers, lakes and the sea,
- Work in hot, cold, wet, windy or dangerous conditions,
- May travel within New Zealand or overseas to areas where the outdoor activities take place.
People are drawn to education outdoors and adventure recreation for many reasons. Our modern world leaves us weary at the end of each day; no wonder this industry is booming. We are all happier in the outdoors; feeling better, sleeping better, time slows and the air feels good to breathe. That is why our training is not all about nature and pursuits. There are cultural activities and exchanges; sightseeing and touring; personal development; community and social events; free time and plenty of opportunity for exploration into one seamless program.
Your time will be split between intensive practical and theoretical training, gaining world-recognised guiding qualifications, plus industry experience in the adventure tourism industry. All this will give you the best entry into the adventure industry possible, or skill-set for becoming a confident outdoor adventurer and global citizens.
We have chosen a number of locations for our programs - each selected for their value to a certain type of traveller. You will head out into the back country to places most only dream of seeing to learn everything it takes to become an outdoor guide.
We focuses on meaningful experiential travel, immersing people in unique cultural environments, educating and inspiring them to reach goals, and encouraging personal development. Through adventure and exploration, we want to help you develop mental fortitude, internal confidence and external wellbeing. You’ll head home a more confident, happy you, ready to tackle whatever life has in store for you.
Whether you are looking for a stepping stone into the adventure tourism career pathway as a guide, a GAP year option prior to entering university, a way to enter the adventure tourism industry, a career break or just an awesome educational opportunity to live and work in the most amazing places on earth, our work and travel programs are perfectly suited for you we create epic, constructive, and rewarding ways to spend time in New Zealand!
We offer programs designed for locals and travelers seeking a positive developmental stepping-stone into independent travel, working the adventure tourism industry or your next life chapter.
Our philosophy threads through all our action-packed itineraries, encompassing developmental and educational ideas. We provide vast skills, great knowledge and huge experiences within an adventure travel context. We create cultures and ever-expanding levels of independence for you and others.
Each place and practice is chosen for your perfect 'classroom' toward personal development, immersive learning and managed challenges.